Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Jazz Mass and A Montreal Delicacy

Such a treat, I realised yesterday that the British Grand Prix could be viewed on the TV in the hotel and I set my alarm for 7 a.m and enjoyed the success of Hamilton and the McLaren team. Such a start to the day! I headed out to the local Anglican church which happened to be Christ Chruch Cathedral. It was a Jazz Eucharist to tie in with the Jazz Festival on this weekend round the corner from us. The service was pretty straight forward but in addition to the usual stand up-sit down conventions, we had to respond to the gestures and sit down and stop singing halfway through the hymns to allow for improvisations. and then stand up to sing the last verse when the music stopped wandering around aimlessly - you can tell I am a jazz fan. Thus, All Things Bright and Beautiful, Amazing Grace and What a Friend we have in Jesus had a jazz makeover, I think that it worked up to a point but was unsure about the round of applause started by a member of the congregation before the final blessing.

We set off later than usual to follow a walk suggested by a guide book. There was very little to see really other than 2 homeless guys with their shopping trollies hurtling through the street of a quiet hippy suburb, thier worldly possessions pulled by a team of dogs. The dogs then proceeded to fight so we left rather quickly.

For dinner this evening a taste of Montreal - vegetarians look away now- a smoked meat platter for me. The guide book said it was the thing to eat and let me tell you it come sexactly as that - a large plate of warm brisket beef smoked but not roasted etc. Only for the glare of our elderly waitress, I think I would have eaten none but didn't manage very much. As Jonathan, wise beyond his years, pointed out - "Mum these local dishes are always bad news". How right you are son!

No comments: