Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Abner the Dog and the Bald Eagle

This morning having mastered the art of a huge washer dryer I did a bit of washing and dried it off and then realised that in the process that the clothes must have puffed up as it came to packing the cases, it appeared that there was less room all of a sudden. I don't remember going shopping to that degree and we still have to go to Montreal! I really have done little shopping but we got Jonathan some clothes in Old Navy so his case had held my robes on the way over so space is limited. I have a ryanair mentality to packing these days. Jacq - if you are reading this, I didn't use the skirts at all! Sorry!

We were picked up by Eric at lunchtime to go to his sailboat. I confess that I was more than a little concerned and was afriad that I would disgrace myself by throwing up on my kind hosts or falling over board if the boat tilted. In the end after a tour of Erics church which reminded me of CORE in the city centre, complete with immersion tank for baptism. When Val, Erics wife came back, we headed for the boat. With huge trepidation we left the jetty in the 27 foot boat and there was a digital reading for depth. A river that is 110 feet deep in parts!

I take it all back - I spent a most pleasant afternoon on the river. The sail out to a island for an offshore mooring was gentle and fast with very little up and down going on. Abner the poodle had his own little life jacket that he wore - wait til you see the picture! While moored and having a glass of home made red wine, I suddenly spotted a large bird. A bald eagle!!!!! Wow, what a sight a bald eagle in full flight. It settled in a tree on the island and there he stayed til we left. Jonathan also had a great day and I couldn't help thinking about how much he has had a chance to experience on this trip also. Val said to him that she couldn't think of any real reason why he couldn't apply to be a counsellor in Camp Medley next year.

We are now back at Greg and Vanessa's house finishing all the packing to head off in the morning. We are to be collected by Al and I think a couple of the parishioners are hoping to join us for brunch en route to the airport. St John is far away from home, yes, but the warmth and genuine hospitality we have experienced is extraordinary and something I will hold always. We will try to blog from Montreal.

No comments: