Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Too Much Pie

Well hello faithful readers!
I missed a day there. I had the morning and afternoon off yesterday and hung round the house with Jonathand and the kids during the torrential rain and went out for a walk as soon as it stopped. There is a small mall near the house and joy of joys there is a Dollarama - everything for a dollar, or if you are really pushing the boat out there is a much more upmarket option where you can spend up to 3 dollars for a single item. As there is a tax of 13 cents to the dollar, it can get pretty expensive but I reckon most of you are worth 3.39 so its looking good for a pressie! There is also a drug store which sells everything from magazines and deoderant to chewing gum so that took me half an hour to negotiate. All in all it was a busy morning.

In the afternoon when Greg came back we established that Jonathan was indeed expected to Barb's house for dinner so off we set. Though not enamoured by an evening with 2 older ladies and his mother, he rallied well and by his second dessert and his 3rd peanut butter square, he was positively chatty! To do him justice , he has been very good. barb ad her friend Patsy turned out to be real characters and we thoroughly enjoyed the visit. barb belonged to the Red Hatters Club a social group for older ladies based on the Jenny Joseph poem Warning. Look it up on line if you don't know it, its brilliant. I knew the poem already but had no idea the group existed. Check it out on Wikipedia.

Today I went with Greg to morning prayer, then to do a funeral prep visit for Harold's family. I will be reading the lessons at the event on Thursday. He then dropped me into the city centre to meet Archdeacon Stuart Allen who I was originally on placement with. He's a really funny guy and the church warden joined us. He was very warm and I had no difficulty realising why he and Walton got on so well together. I had a club sandwich and a slice of the homemade lemon pie - this is relevant- Greg collected me then off parish visiting. They were a lovely elderly couple who were anxious to entertain us properly so we had to sit down to tea and a big slice of pie, precut and ready to eat. So 2 slices within 2 hours. On then to house number 2. What a lovely thing to do, to set up drinks and snacks for us, no really you shouldn't have gone to all that trouble........gosh and melon and cheese on crackers and strawberries and cake and choc chip cookies........all for us????? So here I am 3 hours later and I can't lie down and it really is impossible to refuse everything put in from of you. Oh Dear. I am not getting much exercise and I have at least one meal date courtesy of enthusiastic and very welcoming parishioners every day before I leave and some days I even have 2. I will arrive home twice the size I left.
After a very very small dinner here we went down to the cove for a swim. I didn't get in I would just have sunk.
Til tomorrow then..... X

No comments: