Saturday, June 21, 2008

The good, the bad and the ugly

To say that I am being given a serious placement is an understatement. Jonathan and I were taken out for lunch by 3 lovely elderly ladies yesterday, a lay reader from the church Betty, her sisterPriscilla and Alice the organist. They took us into St John for lunch and a little wander round the city centre which was almost traffic free and it would have been lunchtime! We were dropped off and then I went with Greg to a nursing home where betty and Priscillas Mother was celebrating her 106th - not a typo- birthday. Well since I had only ever previously met a lady of 102, this was going to top that. To cut a long story short, despite being poked and prodded by her daughters the birthday girl didn't wake up to perform. At one point Betty even suggested that her mother may be dead! Not sure of the pastoral response to this, there was a brief pause before all present burst out laughing aside from the birthday girl who thankfully continued breathing but heavily asleep.

Today after a trip to the local farmer's market I went out to lunch to a couple of parishioners and the were so welcoming. I will have to diet when I get home I have so many lunch dates booked. Ed was in the airforce and his wife of 54 years Fay was so nice. When Greg came to collect me he received a call about an urgent hospital visit. Since the others were going on to a pool party we left Jonathan behind and headed to the hospital. He is very determined that I shadow him where at all possible. The family graciously consented to me being present while they waited to see their son/partner/brother in the ICU. He collapsed earlier today and has had a massive brain haemorrhage. I was with them as they went in to begin to say their goodbyes. He is in his early 50s and there is no hope of recovery. He is on life support as they hope to harvest his organs but Greg has just come back from the hospital again and apparently as there is still minimal brain activity they can't proceed for the moment. Please pray for Harold and his partner and family as they wait for the inevitable to happen.

The ugly - there are moose here and apparently they have a reputation for wandering onto the road during the day and charging at cars at night. I don't know why I thought they were extinct. I have been told they look like cows on stilts and extremely ugly and stupid. These unfortunate creatures also suffer from a brain worm on occasion and they go completely mad, rampaging round the country. I would really like to see one before we go home but I don't think its likely. Poor moose. I think that the idea of whale watching and the water park have gone by the wayside too and have fallen victim to the schedule. I am glad we will have a few days off in Montreal before we come home.

No comments: