Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Getting Ready

Well Hello Everybody,
I am sitting at the dining room table getting sorted for the big trip. I have two suitcases ready to be closed and sealed so that the nice people at Heathrow can lose everything for me. I will let the cases go at Dublin around 11 a.m tomorrow and start looking for them around midnight in Montreal. I have learned that hope is eternal! Jonathan has finished his exams and so neither of us have to study.
I have been doing a little reading in preparation of the placement and I have discovered that we Irish are a very generous nation, bringing cholera to the Canadians in the 19th century. I hope to pick up something more socially acceptable in duty free as a gift for my placement rector. About the only real information I have about my placement is that I am going to do an overnight at their diocesan youth camp. Jonathan fell around the place at the thought of it until I reminded him he would probably come with me, now its not so funny. I may have to get used to children other than my own sometime I suppose!
I have never been away from home for this length of time before. I am not the most adventurous person so if it works out I may lose the run of myself completely. Jessica has gone to California and a text a few minutes ago suggests that there is a pancake house in down town Los Angeles about to have its "all you can eat" menu severly tested.
I sign off with a request that you keep us and especially my parents in your thoughts and prayers as I step forward into the wild blue yonder. Thank you for all the encouragement. Hopefully I will have reasonable access to the internet when I am away to keep y'all updated on my placement and Jonathan's heartbreak tour.

3 comments:

Robert Ferris said...

Ruth,

You are in my prayers as you & Jonathan and Jessica go on this adventure :-) Have a GRRRRREAT time in Canada / USA

Me's about to pack bags

RF

Anonymous said...

I am sure you can give the Canadians some kind of a disease. Do you happen to have a jar of smallpox or something ?

Unknown said...

Is this a dastardly plan to make everyone jealous about your holiday? Or is it a means to allow people to decide what present they want back?

Say hi to Jonathan.