Saturday, July 3, 2010

Birr July 2010


So here we are, Me and the children, Jacq and her family. Its a Saturday night and I am back in Birr for the first time since Mum and Dad and the removal van pulled out nearly 8 years ago. It feels a little like being in a dream sequence. Some elements of the town have changed but not enough to make it feel different enough. It is odd to stand at the end of the drive of a house that was my family home for 30 years and not be going up to the familiar door and be able to walk right in and say "Hi" to Mum and Dad. (To be fair to the current incumbent, we were invited to look around but I just couldn't face it.)


To stand outside the church I was married in, the house I lived in, the school I was a pupil in between the ages of 6-12 and the pub I occasionally drank in during my late teenage years is odd and vaguely disturbing. I would not wish to turn the clock back to certain aspects of my adult life spent in Birr as a sole parent to my 2 wonderful kids when they were oh so young during weekends snatched from Dublin, but I benefitted so much from the backup of my loving parents. It is so odd being here without Mum and Dad. The last time I was here I was a proud daughter of a Rector. This time I am a priest but still the very very proud daughter of a priest.


Mum would love to have come so it was very sad to leave her in Greystones. The journey would have been too much for her. Taking loads of photos as promised to show her when I get home.

I know this is a little rambling but I needed to put something down and break back into blogging after the last entry. Still sadness surrounds us like a fog that comes and goes. Dad I miss you. Mum I love you. X

No comments: