Monday, March 29, 2010

Ordination Report

Sorry for the slight delay in posting this but things have been busy and I wanted to be able to add a note about Dad's weekend away.

The ordination was a wonderful experience. Mum and Dad were both able to make it as I said. Dad was able to robe and join in the service fully as preacher. Although I am obviously biased, I know from the feedback that his sermon was exceptional, and I have since heard it described as "magnificent", "relevant" and "inspirational". I was really pleased that so many of my friends and parishioners were able to hear him for the first time and get a measure of how gifted a preacher he is, but like I say, I am probably biased.

Jacq sang Pie Jesu beautifully and Andrew and Jonathan read lessons. It was great that as it was in the parish I was able to involve family so much. Jessica co-presented me for ordination. Dad was able to participate in the laying on of hands and this was really special. The singing was excellent and I managed to get through the two anthems without shedding too many tears. I love Rutter's Clare Benediction and it had added poignancy under the circumstances. It is an evening I will treasure always.

Dad left early the next morning for the trip to Harrogate with his brother David and Jacq. I think that he enjoyed parts of it but it was very tiring. He came home yesterday evening and rested today and will have another round of chemo tomorrow. It is his birthday on Wednesday so that will be fairly low key. Mum and I had a quiet weekend in Greystones.

No comments: