Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Frightened Motorcyclist


On my way to college in the morning, if I time it right, I come across the frightened motorcyclist. I can see him or her from quite a distance away as the brake lights glow like a beacon from quite a distance. On drawing closer, I can see that it is a small cc bike, the type of moped that is not quite a scooter - not quite a motorbike.

The brake light is almost constantly on as I follow it at around 20 miles and hour through the quiet side roads. The intrepid traveller seems so focussed on the danger of the task that there seems little pleasure in the sensation of travelling. Their backpack seems to add to the burden of the journey. Helmet on tightly, hands in protective gloves, raingear ready for bad weather. They travel along with their feet off the footplate, soles down, ready for the need to stop and connect with the security of the road surface.

It struck me this morning that this is a very good example of the way that people (including myself on too frequent an occasion if I’m honest) live out our Christian lives. We protect ourselves with layers that prevent us from feeling the impact of our journey, saving us from hot and cold of contact with life. We brace our feet, ready for the possibility of a crisis. We keep the brakes on, not because we need them – but just in case…

What would happen if I got on the motorbike of my Christian journey and travelled the road with the wind blowing my face and hair, brakes off, full throttle shouting “YEE-HA!” fully connected, exhilarated, and trusting in God to keep the bike on the road? I think I am about to find out as I start the new phase of my life in God and with God. Its going to be quite the journey!

No comments: